Valentine’s Day: Heart Rice Krispies Treats
I have to admit that I’m not that big on Valentine’s Day, but I do love a ‘holiday’ with an excuse to make festive treats. I have a whole set of heart cookie cutters from a few years back, but rather than make standard sugar cookies, I made pink heart Rice Kristpies Treats! They are so quick & easy and so classically good, you really can’t go wrong – I know your friends will love them and be flattered that you remembered them with a little sweet something this Valentine’s Day.
Smitten Kitchen’s Salted Brown Butter Crispy Treats here – These are delicious! Ultra buttery, slightly nutty with a salty bite. They are a great update to the classic recipe.
The Original Rice Krispies Treats here
- A non-stick pan is a LIFESAVER for preparing these.
- I used 5 drops of red food coloring for the pink above – you want the melted marshmallows to be a little brighter than you want in the end because the mixture will become lighter when you add the cereal
- The Smitten Kitchen recipe has you put them in a 8″ square pan for nice thick treats, which can be a little thick for cookie cutters – I would recommend the 13″x9″ pan (it will also yield a lot more hearts)
- Spray the cookie cutters with cooking spray so they don’t stick
- If you are having difficulty cutting out the hearts, turning out the whole pan of treats will help, get in there with your hands and make those hearts!
- If all else fails, use a sharp knife to cut around the cookie cutter, or to free hand your hearts